Česky English

Retz


date interpreter genre
23.6.
Saturday

ZEFIRO TORNA

JURGEN DE BRUYN / artistic leader

 

Retz

www.retzer-land.at
www.weinstadt-retz.at

Retz, which is located in the northwest of the Weinviertel, is a small town in Lower Austria. In the area of today’s village green, there formed a village already known as „Rezze“ in the year 1180. After the monastery and the Dominican church were completed in 1295, the foundation of the already planned out town followed in the year 1300. In 1425 the Hussites conquered Retz, followed by Schrattenthal and Pulkau only a few days later. In 1467 the civil hospital’s chapel was consecrated, and later on secularized in 1783. Today it is known as the “Museum Retz” and serves as a home to the town collection and the south Moravian gallery.

After its reconstruction, Matthias Corvinus conquered the town in 1486. Retz was part of his territory until the year 1490. During this time, the town received its privileges in relation to wine trade, which constituted its future wealth. Retz also owes its extensive and multi-level wine cellar construction to these privileges. Today, it represents the largest historic wine cellar in Austria, and can be visited on guided tours. For a couple of years now, the cellars have been used as the setting for a theater, as well as an attraction of the Christmas market called “drüber and drunter” (“above and below”).

Between 1568 and 1569, the former church on the main square was converted into the town hall. The remarkable „Verderberhaus“ stems from the year 1583. The first windmill in Retz, which was made of wood, was built in 1772. In 1853, the wooden post mill was demolished, and in its place the tower mill, which is functioning again today, was built. The name of the district “old town“ developed from the old settlement site. The settlements were merged into one municipality in the year 1848, and were only incorporated into the town community in 1941. For centuries, only the inside of the town wall was considered as part of the town. For the fortification of the southwestern corner of the town, the counts of Hardegg donated the Dominican monastery and its church to Retz, and in the area of today’s castle a farmyard was built.

One of the last fully useable windmills in Austria

 

The farmhouse was transformed into today’s castle in the year 1500. The northwestern corner of the castle became part of the town fortification. Later on, it again transformed into a farmyard, currently called “Althof”, which was purchased by the town of Retz in the 1980s. In 1989, the reconstruction of the farmyard into a hotel establishment was initiated. Since 1992, the “Althof” serves as a hotel, as well as an educational institution for the intercultural school of hotel management of Retz. Over the past years, the hotel was continuously enlarged and integrated into the historic structure of the old town wall. In 2015, the wellness area called „VinoSPA“ was opened.

In the meanwhile, Retz has evolved to become the center for tourism within the northwestern Weinviertel. The merger of the surrounding municipalities which form the “Retzer Land”, as well as the intense cooperation with the town of Znojmo, made it possible for the wine town to become a renowned destination across borders, attracting continuously increasing numbers of visitors.

 

 

Retz

www.retzer-land.at
www.weinstadt-retz.at

 

Retz, im nordwestlichen Weinviertel gelegen, ist eine Kleinstadt in Niederösterreich. Im Bereich des heutigen Angers von Retz bildete sich ein Dorf, welches schon 1180 als „Rezze“ bezeichnet wurde. Nachdem im Jahr 1295 das Kloster und die Dominikanerkirche fertiggestellt wurden, erfolgte um 1300 die Gründung der planmäßig angelegten Stadt. 1425 eroberten die Hussiten Retz und wenige Tage später Schrattenthal und Pulkau. 1467 wurde die Bürgerspitalskapelle geweiht und 1783 wieder säkularisiert. Heute dient sie unter dem Namen „Museum Retz“ als Stadtsammlung und Heimstätte der Südmährischen Galerie.
Nach dem Wiederaufbau eroberte Matthias Corvinus 1486 die Stadt. Bis 1490 gehörte Retz zu seinem Herrschaftsgebiet. In dieser Zeit erhielt die Stadt jene den Weinhandel betreffenden Privilegien, die den künftigen Reichtum der Stadt begründeten. Diesen Privilegien verdankt Retz auch die ausgedehnten und mehrstöckigen Kelleranlagen. Sie stellen heute den größten historischen Weinkeller Österreichs dar und sind im Rahmen von Führungen zu besichtigen. Die Keller dienen seit einigen Jahren auch als Kulisse für ein Stationentheater und als Attraktion für den Retzer Adventmarkt „drüber und drunter“.
Von 1568 bis 1569 wurde die ehemalige Kirche auf dem Hauptplatz zum Rathaus umgebaut. Das auffällige Verderberhaus stammt aus dem Jahr 1583.
Die erste Windmühle in Retz stammte aus dem Jahr 1772 und war aus Holz. 1853 wurde die hölzerne Bockwindmühle abgetragen und an deren Stelle die heute wieder funktionstüchtige Turmwindmühle errichtet.
Der Name des Stadtteils „Altstadt“ entwickelte sich aus dem Begriff der alten Siedlungsstätte. Sie wurden 1848 zu einer Gemeinde zusammengefasst und erst 1941 in die Stadtgemeinde eingegliedert. Stadt war durch Jahrhunderte nur, was innerhalb der Stadtmauern stand. Für die Fortifikation der Südwest-Ecke der Stadt stifteten die Grafen von Hardegg das Dominikanerkloster mit der Kirche und dort, wo jetzt das Schloss steht (Südost-Ecke der Stadt) war ein "festes Haus" als Wirtschaftshof der Retzer Hauptplatz mit Rathaus und Verderberhaus

Burg gestanden. Aus diesem Wirtschaftshof erbaute man um 1500 das heutige Schloss. An der Nordwest-Ecke wurde die Burg Teil der Stadtbefestigung. Später entwickelte sie sich  zu einem Wirtschaftshof, dem heutigen Althof, den die Stadtgemeinde Retz in den 1980er Jahren käuflich erwarb. 1989 erfolgte die Grundsteinlegung für den Umbau zum Hotelbetrieb. Seit 1992 fungiert der Althof als Hotel - gleichzeitig ist er auch Teil der Ausbildungsstätte der Interkulturellen Hotelfachschule Retz. In den vergangen Jahrzehnten wurde das Hotel stetig erweitert und in die historische Bausubstanz der Stadtmauern integriert. Im Jahr 2015 wurde zuletzt der Wellnessbereich „VinoSPA“ eröffnet.

Retz hat sich mittlerweile zu einem touristischen Zentrum im nordwestlichen Weinviertel entwickelt. Mit dem Zusammenschluss der umliegenden Gemeinden zum „Retzer Land“ und nicht zuletzt aufgrund der intensiven Zusammenarbeit mit der Stadt Znojmo (Znaim) ist es der Weinstadt gelungen weit über die Landesgrenzen hinaus bekannt zu werden und verzeichnet jährlich steigende Besucherzahlen.

 

Hauptplatz-2014

Hauptplatz-2014

Klosterkirche 2

Klosterkirche 2

Sgraffitohaus

Sgraffitohaus

Klosterkirche

Klosterkirche

 

Copyright © 2010 Concentus Moraviae  |  Published by system inCMS  |  Webdesign Inexes